Tuesday, June 27, 2006

... or not so much...

I called back the Human Rights Commission to file my complaint today and was told that I actually did NOT have grounds to file a human rights violation complaint. I wish I had known that before I went and got the developer angry. This is not good.

So now what the HRC told me was that I have to call the building code people back and see if there's anything in the code stopping me from building a ramp. If there is, then there's nothing I can do. If there isn't, then she said I should approach the builders and ask if they would build a ramp at my expense. If they will, great. If they won't then there is nothing stopping me from building my own. If the developer gives me a hard time about building a ramp when I am entitled to, THEN I can file a human rights violation complaint.

Man, this is complicated!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would check with another source. You should join ADA-LAWS on yahoo groups and talk to them about this -- they have a lot of attorneys and activists who know their stuff. It doesn't sound to me as if you got totally accurrate information from the HRC.

Ranter said...

The thing is, I'm in Canada so the ADA doesn't apply to me. I've tried to contact people from the Ontarians with Disabilities Act, but the committee seems to be defunct. I've contacted lawyers, the by-law people, the city, human rights commission, independent living centre, the ontario builders code. This all points to the fact that the developer, since this is a private building, is allowed to put something in his buyer's contract that all changes on the exteriour of the building must be approved by the owner, who may unreasonably withhold consent. He has done this. It seems there is nothing left to be done about this particular building. Except go to the press. I have decided to the newspaper and tv news, as well as the PM, mayor, city councillor and MP. This needs to change. There needs to be something in the building code or by laws that say that a builder must accomodate people in wheelchair's needs on such things as this.