Saturday, April 08, 2006

Modern Canadian Water Torture

Remember that appointment that I had at the inaccessible office? Well, I finally had it and my doctor booked further tests to give me the complete work-up to start off his files on me. So today, I went off for an ultrasound (after checking to make sure the clinic I was going to was indeed accessible). He wanted all the internal organs checked, beginning with the bladder. Preparation? No food after I went to bed from the night before. 1 hour before the test, 32 ounces of water. Then an hour of probing on my bladder and stomache. Can you say torture? It was one of the more unbearable situations I have been through, and I've had a few nasty ones. It seemed the technician found every tender spot on my belly and pressed harder. Finally, I was allowed to get up and pee, but then had to come back as they wanted pictures of my bladder full and empty. Major relief, yes, but as you can imagine, with 32 ounces of water, it didn't take long before I needed to pee a 2nd time. And a 3rd on the way home. And... you get the picture. Oy. Ow. Oh. I can't wait for my next yearly check-up!

8 comments:

The Goldfish said...

It is rather unpleasant, isn't it? Especially when the ultrasound technician is running late and you have to wait even longer than anticipated without peeing.

I'm hosting a Blogging Against Disablism Day on May 1st. Would be great to have you on board.

Ranter said...

That sounds interesting! Unfortunately, I'll be away then. I'm off to Italy (which I'm sure will spurn some fodder for future accessibility posts).

Good luck though, I'll look forward to reading all about it when I get back.

The Goldfish said...

Hope you have a great time - I look forward to reading about Italy when you come back. Where abouts are you going?

Ranter said...

Flying in and out of Rome, then Florence, Siena, and Bologna. It'll be interesting to see if access has changed in Rome and Florence since the first time I was there in 1993. I've heard things have changed, but probably not much.

Anonymous said...

Nice blog!

I am adding the blog to our link directory at http://www.audacitymagazine.com . It is an online lifestyle magazine for people with disabilities.

I hope you have a great time in Italy!

Nathasha
nathasha@audacitymagazine.com
http://www.audaciouslady.com
http://www.myspace.com/audaciouslady

Disability Blogger said...

Hi, I'm sticking this comment on your most recent post because, if you're like me, you may not see the comment if I put it on the appropriate post which is older.

"I love my mother, but I can't be around her for too long before she starts driving me crazy. Bang your head on a brick wall crazy."

Boy, I think a lot of people can relate to that one. And it doesn't minimize one iota how much you love your mother, it just is.

I have to say your blog makes for compelling reading. It "reads" very well, like a first-person novel.

Wasn't Michael Nesmith one of the monkeys?

Ranter said...

Thanks for the compliment, that's very nice of you to say, and nice to hear! I like to write, but I've always been anti-blogging as I find them totally self-absorbed. Don't get me wrong, we're all self-absorbed to a degree, I just was worried I had nothing to say of interest to anyone but myself! Nice to hear that others make sense of my ramblings.

Ranter said...

Oh, and yes, Michael Nesmith was a Monkee. :)