Sunday, September 07, 2008

Ho hum...

I've been feeling really down lately and refraining from posting because I don't want all my posts to be about how my life sucks. I am in the last week of my contract and I will miss this job, although it has been crazy crazy crazy busy. I am really tired and could really use some time off, but the good news is, as of next week, I will be starting a new PERMANENT job! And guess what population it's with?... for those of you who have read my previous posts, you'll understand my hesitance when I say... "rehab!". Yes, I applied for the job, it's true. But I know that's where my boss has seen me all along (and you think my disability had anything to do with that??). So, while I am extremely happy to at least have an in (and that is exactly why I decided to apply to the position in the first place... use my boss' wishes to my advantage) and can apply to other positions as they come up. Actually, only half of my job will deal with disability, the other is a different type of rehab (and no, not alcohol ;)). So, we'll see how it goes. The pace and work will be very different from what I'm doing now, and that will be a welcome break. So yay benefits! Boo loss of pay in lieu of benefits!

As for why I've been feeling down, as usual, I am stuck. I've previously mentioned that most of my friends have either moved away or had babies this year. Of the two who moved away, I was really close to one, not so close to the other. And since they've been gone, I have hardly heard from either. The one who I was close to actually came back into town and I received an email from another close friend of hers saying she was organizing a dinner out (her usual big do with 20 of her closest friends... which is just not the type of thing an introvert like me enjoys). I opted not to go for 2 reasons. One was precisely because of the number of people invited and I knew I'd maybe get to talk to her for 5 minutes. The other was I was a little miffed that she didn't call or email me herself. Not to tell me she was coming, not to say hi when she was actually here. Since she moved away almost a year ago, I have had a few emails, and one phone call. She never gave me her new cell phone #, and she's never home to answer her home phone (left 2 messages). It's left me really hurt.

My pregnant or newly mommied friends are all into their kids, obviously. When we meet we don't really talk about much other stuff. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy for them, truly, but I miss my social life, what little of it there actually was. And I feel helpless to change this pattern of meeting people, becoming friends, and they either not liking me, or me not liking them. I've been contemplating counseling, but part of me is hesitant for 2 reasons; 1, I've been in therapy before, for about 7 years for the same issues. 2, with my new permanent job comes the substantial pay cut and I don't know if I'll be able to afford it. I will be starting some new activities in the fall, so it'll be nice to get busy again and meet some new people, but I always feel like I'm starting again. Of the two friends I have who are not pregnant or moving away, one I could call up and do stuff with, but I don't really enjoy being around her. I wish I did, it would make my life much easier. But I don't. And there's no point hanging with someone you just don't want to be around.

Anyway, forgive the whiny post. I obviously need to do something to get off this whiny downward spiral, just not sure what yet.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on the new (permanent) job!

kyles anima said...

we all complain once in a while

Anonymous said...

Hi, you don't know me, but I ran across your blog... keep your head up. It will get better... and today is Friday!

Forrest said...

That is a hell of a lot of complainin' for something you wanted in the first place.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
オテモヤン said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
sewa mobil said...

Nice article, thanks for the information.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Disabled Travel Guide said...

Hi,
I think that this is a great blog (Ive just found you and have been loving it) and I LOVE the way you write :)
I run a site for disabled travellers where people share information about accessibility and disabled travel

(www.disabledtravelguide.co.uk) and would love you to contribute about where you live or somewhere you’ve been.
For that matter, I would love anyone who is interested in empowering disabled individuals with information to please have a look and consider writing something.

Bruce R said...

Go ahead, whine away. I understand perfectly how you feel

enerfly said...

Reading your blog and wondered if you would like to join our brand new social network & social movement site for people affected by medical adversity/disability. We are growing with passionate people. We are currently looking for members to write an article, be featured bloggers, participate in discussions, video talks and give us feedback. Hope you'll join us at http://enerfly.org/ and if you are interested please e-mail enerfly@live.com

Anonymous said...

I mean no disrespect, bu exactly "Why are you complaining?"

I have had CP my entire life, and looking back over friends dating, getting married..etc; kinda hurt but in retrospect unlike them--we get our own parking space, and take a seat with us wherever we go.

We have been given the chance to see life, in a new way--I encourage you to visit: http://nathanaelsblog.wordpress.com/2012/01/07/disability-and-disbelief/